Endodontics - Root Canal Treatment
Endodontics, more commonly referred to as root canal therapy, involves the removal of dead or infected tissue of the internal tooth structure. Once cleaned, the tooth is sealed. Root canal therapy inhibits the loss of the tooth due to the infection. Our Simi Valley dentist used advanced technology and techniques to repair the tooth quickly and effectively, minimizing any future infections.
The step by step process of a root canal completed by our dentist in Simi Valley includes the following:
- An opening is created in the tooth to access the infected area
- The infected tissue is removed and the canals are cleaned
- The canals are then filled with permanent material
- The opening is sealed with a filling
- A dental crown is placed for protection
Why root canals are necessary
When your tooth has an infection, the bacteria can spread to other areas of your mouth and infect other teeth. Tooth loss can occur if left untreated long enough. Our dentist in Simi Valley will use root canal therapy to save your tooth.
Symptoms of an infected tooth include:
- Swelling in the neck, face or head
- Bone loss
- Drainage issues
- Ear or jaw pain
Most root canals can be completed in a single visit to our Simi Valley dentist office but some may require additional visits. Call us to schedule an appointment if you are in need of a root canal or to find out more information about root canal therapy.