6 Habits That Are Bad for Your Oral Health
When patients are experiencing a problem with their dental care, they are encouraged to visit their Simi Valley dentist for an evaluation. Preventative care is one way to address common concerns, and include brushing and flossing between dental visits. However, bad habits can also have an impact on the health of the teeth and gums. Here are six habits that are bad for your oral health and wellness:
- Chewing Ice – when patients chew ice cubes, they are at risk of damaging not only their natural tooth structure but they may experience breakage with restorations in their smile, such as dentures, bridges, crowns, and porcelain veneers. Avoid chewing on ice cubes and other hard objects to maintain your smile!
- Biting Your Nails – similar to chewing ice, biting your nails can have an effect on your anterior teeth. These are the teeth near the front of your mouth that are susceptible to damage. Biting your nails is also bad for those nailbeds and not just the teeth!
- Clenching Your Jaw – clenching and grinding of the teeth, typically related to a condition called bruxism, can negatively impact the smile. Clenching and grinding can wear down the natural tooth structure and can also break restorations.
- Brushing Your Teeth Too Hard – it is important to take great care when brushing your teeth and your gums. Our dental team also encourages patients to stick with a soft toothbrush as stiffer brushes can be damaging to the teeth and gums.
- Drinking Coffee/Red Wine – drinking coffee or red wine can stain the natural tooth structure, resulting in discoloration and a dull appearance. While routine dental visits and cleanings can help, it may be important to reduce your intake for the benefit of your smile!
- Smoking – smoking is bad for your overall health, but also your dental health. It is essential that patients stop smoking and visit their Simi Valley dentist regularly for teeth cleanings to protect the smile from disease and decay
Our Simi Valley dentist is proud to provide patients with solutions to their dental care problems. Whether it’s bad oral health habits or poor dental care between recall visits, we can help! Contact us today by calling (805) 522-0880 or visit the practice personally at 3695 Alamo Street #300 in Simi Valley, California.
Location: 3695 Alamo Street, #300 Simi Valley CA 93063
Back to Articles